Let's face it, working out on the road can be a huge drag. You're faced with less than stellar hotel gyms, jet lag, and a total lack of motivation. As a frequent traveler, I can't let these setbacks prevent me from getting in a good sweat sesh, so in this week's installment of the "Healthy traveling Series", I will be sharing some of my favorite workouts from the road. Most of these do not require anything except for the standard exercise equipment usually found in a hotel gym. Just because you are away from home doesn't mean you have to let your health and fitness suffer. With a little planning and help from the Strong as Stone community, you have the ability to feel energized, strong, and sleep like a baby on your future travels.
Hotel Room/Bodyweight Workouts:
- Tabata- see post for in-depth description. Use any movement/bodyweight exercise that gets your heart racing for 20 seconds at a time.
- 20 Jumping squats, 20 push-ups, 20 burpees (3-5 rounds)
- 100 jumping jacks, 75 air squats, 50 push-ups, 25 burpees
- AMRAP (as many reps as possible) 15 min.- 25 lunges, 20 incline (hands on edge of bed) or decline (feet on edge of bed) push-ups, 15 sit-ups, 10 tricep dips (hands on edge of chair)
- 30 seconds high knees, 30 air squats, 20 sit-ups, 10 push-ups (5 rounds)
- Perform rounds of 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 push-ups, sit-ups, pike push-ups, burpees
- Yoga- see post for favorite free online resources
- 200 meter sprint (8-10 reps)
- 100 meter hill sprint (8-10 reps)
- 200 M sprint, 10 push-ups, 20 sit-ups, 30 air squats (5 rounds)
- Hotel stair sprints
- 800 meter (1/2 mile) x 4 w/1-2 min. rest in between
- 2 X 800 M, 2 X 400 M, 2 X 200 M, 4 X 100 M
- 30-60 second sprint with 1 minute recovery on treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical, etc. (8-10 reps)
- Flat bench dumbbell press, incline dumbbell press, dumbbell flyes, dumbbell skull crushers (4 sets of each exercise with 8-12 reps)
- Dumbbell shoulder press, dumbbell shrugs, front raises, side lateral raises (3-4 sets of each exercise with 8-12 reps)
- Wide grip lateral pulldown, close grip lateral pulldown, one arm dumbbell row, dumbbell bicep curl (4 sets of each with 8-12 reps)
What are some of your favorite travel workouts? Let us know in the comments below!